Wednesday, January 21, 2015

A Star is Born

If anybody told me that I would be dancing in public I would have never believe it. For years I spent a lot of my time in my room practicing how to dance like Michael Jackson, Usher, and James Brown. While I was growing up I did not have a lot of confidence because of how I looked while I was going through puberty; I had bad acne and a very deep voice. The kids at school would make fun of me and call me names, but I thrive to be a better dancer. However, as I became older I started to gain my confidence and I even started to dance in public.

The DJ starts playing my life-changing song in the cafeteria and every student turned around eagerly, waiting for me to make a fool out of myself. I jumped out of my seat presenting the impression that I was going to dance as if to be funny, and I quickly sat back down. I turned to my friend of five years and all I remember him saying was, “So you're not about to dance though, you told me you were.” Of course, I had forgot about this promise, but I always keep my word; so I took a deep breath, went out to the middle of the cafeteria, and started doing what I do best. At the end of my performance, I threw my hat into the crowd, and it felt like I was throwing away years of criticism and jokes away for good. Really for good because I never got that hat back. After lunch, I had an indescribable power because everyone was still cheering and talking about my performance for weeks. One of my classmates told me that I was a hit on Instagram because everyone admired the ten second clip of my magic, calling me “Young Mike” or “Teree J.” After all those years, I finally felt like I found my abandoned Teree.

No comments:

Post a Comment